Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Fabulous friends

On days like this I realize how small this world really is. This morning began with reading an email from Elena in Holland, helping me out with a recipe that I am translating for Sheila in Brasil. Followed by a two hour conversation about love, life and lots of laughs with another Eli in Sydney, Australia. After feeling bad about an argument with my mom, a close friend called at the perfect time and listened patiently to me blabbing about what more can I do to be a better person/daughter.... blah blah blah... I then signed onto msn messenger and up popped a box from Carlos in Sao Paolo. He offered some comforting words and made me feel a whole lot better. As I was finishing up my conversation with Carlos, Titsiana in Italy gave me a quick shout out, which made me smile. Then Saxa in Chicago and I talked more about the pressures of entering the real world after college and how our parents aren't exactly the listening type when it comes to our NonProfit endeavors and how we'll change the world someday.... I have high hopes we'll be meeting up in Buenos Aires this summer...
These are all friends I picked up in Italy to add to my collection of fabulous people I know. I was neighbors and room-mates with these people.
...I saw them passing by in the street
...I saw them sitting in the pews at the church
...I saw them playing calcio
...I saw them at the market
...I saw them at work in the factory
...I saw them at dinner time
.
Each day I pray for them and realize that they're not so far away - they've been with me all along...and on days like this, I feel loved.

2 comments:

Annika said...

It is fascinating... some of the people I consider my closest friends are scattered around the world too - but it doesn't really matter, because the days when we could only communicate with the people in our own town on a daily basis are forever gone.

Louise said...

Very sweet, well said!!
You are blessed!
Have a great day!