Monday, June 4, 2007

Eli saves the day...

After coming home from my first errand this morning (at 7:30am), I came home to find an enormous puddle of water spreading throughout my kitchen. We've been having disgusting weather lately and there's been nothing but rain in our forecast, unfortunately. I assumed it was due to all the rain... I mopped up the mess, put a load of laundry in the washer and went back to bed. After waking up for the second time, I returned downstairs to see cleaning products that were once under the sink, spread out all over the kitchen floor and my brother eating my left over General Tso's chicken for breakfast at the table looking annoyed and frustrated.

"What's up?" I asked.
He replied, "There was water EVERYWHERE and it's because the pipe is leaking under the sink."
"hmm... " , I said as I knelt down to inspect the leaky pipe.

...indeed, we had a steady stream of water coming out from the pipes. So what does my genius of a baby brother do? He mopped up the mess with a gabillion paper towels -because at 21 years old, he still needs instructions on how to use a freegin mop- and instead of taking an actual bucket and placing it under the sink, he decided to use several tupperware containers to catch the water.

He then proceeds to ask me, "You have the day off today right? Because at this rate, you'll need to empty out these containers at least every 10 minutes."

... like it's my God-given duty as the only girl in the house to save the kitchen from the big bad plumber ghost?
...like he thinks I should sit here and wait for these tiny little things to fill up so I could empty them out again?
... like he couldn't just stop and think for a second and get a bigger bucket instead of 8 little plastic containers?

I was getting more and more annoyed but remained calm and tried to look him in the eye and be patient with him instead of being a jerk of an older sister.
I was still kneeling under the sink and had an "A-Ha!" moment. I reached over and placed my hand on something called a knob. "Righty tighty, lefty lucy" and I turned the knobs to the right. And so, with that, the water was shut off and the leaking stopped.

**
Now all I have to do is clean up this mess in the kitchen, finish the second load of laundry, and charge my phone to full battery power so I'll have enough power on my cell phone to listen to one of my best friends call me to stress about hypothetical major plans to spend a week in Buenos Aires this July...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a genius!!!

Louise said...

Sounds like an exciting day....NOT!! Oh man that would SO tick me off!
Glad to hear that you remained calm and just dealt with it....you go girl!!