Saturday, May 19, 2007

The funny things some people do.

I like people. I'm no social butterfly or anything but I'm a people person. I tend to watch people when I go out. Not in a stalker, freaky way though. I sit on the train and most times I have a book I can read. But I prefer to read people instead. I usually just look around and make up whole life stories of men and women. I wonder where they're going, if they have a family...If I'm really curious, I may just get the nerve to ask them straight up, "Where are you going?" If they get nervous that I'll follow them, I reverse it and say, "Ok, fine, where are you coming from?" I've had great conversations that way. I've spoken about recipes, weather, far away places, cars, animals, ways to remove stains and many other random things.
It's surprising how we walk around and come face to face with hundreds of people in a day and not be the least bit curious as to who they are. I suppose one could walk down a hallway or along a sidewalk and not make eye contact with those we pass by. But would it kill you to smile? Why do people look to the pavement when another person approaches and walks passed? What's the worst that could happen?
I went out to dinner one night with a friend some time ago and noticed a few odd things that people do...
Why do people feel the need to keep their cell phone on the table? I find it rude and unnecessary. Do they really think they're that popular? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt - maybe they're waiting for an important call. Perhaps, new parents expecting a call from the babysitter.
Unless of course, there could be the couple where one of them is expecting the date to go terribly wrong and is too chicken to go through with the "I'm sorry but I don't think this is going to work out, but thanks anyway" speech. So they set up a typical scenario where a friend calls them 20 minutes into dinner and comes up with some lame excuse of an emergency... like, the family cat is missing or something...
Why do women go to bathrooms in groups? Aah, yes, it's the question with no explanation. I suppose there is no REAL answer. But am I less of a woman if I DO NOT travel to the toilet with 4 other friends in tow? There are plenty of other places to talk rather than the toilet as far as I'm concerned. I can't hold converations through the stalls. The very image of someone carrying on a conversation while sitting on a toilet just freaks me out. Finish your business - then come and talk to me, k? Whatever you'd like to talk about, I'm sure it can wait another 40 seconds. Where did this whole notion of having "meetings" in the restroom come into practice? Does anything good ever come out of it?
In junior high and high school, girls did 3 things in the bathroom:
-
1. Put on make up
2. Talk about boys
3. Smoke cigarettes (because it was forbidden to smoke on school property and so the only place to hide a smoke was in the bathroom)
-
Later on, in college,
both 1 + 2 ( I mean both from the list above and literally number one and two...), cigarettes would be smoked outside, and occassionally you'd have a couple getting frisky in the last stall.
**WHY on EARTH these people would do it in the bathroom of all places is BEYOND comprehension... as if it were romantic? ... makes for a great story to tell the kids doesn't it? ... Can't they just mosey on over to the periodical section of the library and do it there?
Speaking of the library, the one on campus just got remodelled after about 50 years. Now everything is all high tech with computer desks set up and they rearranged everything. I walked in, looked around and thought to myself, "Umm... where the hell are all the books?" And yet they still call it a library....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can bruit about that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is still a question as you did in the decrease publication of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=ms windows vista premuim ?
I noticed the axiom you suffer with not used. Or you functioning the dreary methods of inspiriting of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg