Monday, May 21, 2007

Home is where the heart is...


I'm having one of those days. The one where I wake up and stare at my ceiling wondering what in the hell I'm doing back here, in this place I call "home" ... I'm missing my apartment in the upper right corner of that small house embedded in the tuscan hills. I miss waking up at the crack of dawn because of those bloody galline across the road wouldn't shutup. I miss stepping out of bed onto the cold, tile floor, walking over to my window to open the shutters and look out on a glorious view of vineyards, olive groves, mountains and a distant church.


I look at this picture and I'm tempted to reach my hand out - as if some sort of portal would open up. One that would let me step through it to just be transported to another time and place.

It's odd to feel so out of place when surrounded by people I've known my entire life. This is my home (for now)- I keep on telling myself, "There's no place like home." .... I wonder if Dorothy ever missed Oz after her whole adventure. How does one return to Kansas anymore after knowing such a beautiful place exists? I'm not necessarily comparing Oz to Italy. Italy had it's moments.
But is it possible to have homesickness of a place that isn't really home? Truth is, I felt more at home over there with a group of foreign room-mates, than I do here.
Just don't tell my papá. He can be a bit dramatic... I'm thinking it's more of a southern Italian thing. When my oldest brother finally decided to pick up and move into his own apartment at 30, my father was overcome with such confusion.
for example:
Brother: "Pa, I found an apartment and I'm movin' out this Saturday."
Papá: "Wha? Whadda you meana you move outta dis saturday? Why? You no like here?"
Me: "How about because he's THIRTY and it's ABOUT TIME he moves out of the basement papá!?" Honestly now.
I think all Italians have this contract that their baby boy "signs" once born...That's why they take baby's fingerprints. They just put the kid's finger print by the line marked with an 'X' saying that this child will agree to being babied until they're at least 30, will eat and love mom's pasta, visit nonna every sunday and worship the ground their father walks on, wear a gold chain with a crucifix, etc. etc... I could go on but I don't want to judge...



2 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I felt this way too upon returning to the US after spending 6 months in Italy; now I live here, so you can see how that turned out for me ;)

Btw, thanks for the link!

Unknown said...

Hey Elisa,
I felt the same after I came back from Loppiano , I was there in the 2003-2004, and I miss it so much, I miss my window too,I lived in Campo Giallo (we had a Gen Unit there) and also the Casa Nuova in the Gen School, and after getting back from Loppiano, everything seemed so wrong back home, well it's not easy to land after Loppiano's expereince,specially very strog expereinces.
when I got back my gen assistant encouraged me to go to Ottmaring to help me "landing", (which by the way I consedered as the most beautiful days in my life)
anyhow, you have a nice blog !

cheers ;-)
Amir