Monday, May 14, 2007

il problema con il regalo...ergh!

The whole house was still sleeping off all the home-made wine we practically drowned ourselves in from Saturday night at dinner.
In spite of the killer headache I had when I woke up, I still managed to pull myself out of bed extra early on Sunday to set up the table and prepare everything thinking we could have a nice family breakfast on Mother's Day... did we even have pancake mix? - I thought as I'm sleep walking to the kitchen! YES! Thankfully we did. But we didn't have any milk. So I wake the youngest of my brothers up and ask if he'll go to the store (a quarter of a mile away) for the milk. Clearly, that was a waste of my time. I then go to ask my sister...an even BIGGER waste of my time... Great. Just great. I'm off to a good start.
I ran to the store all annoyed, got the milk for the pancake batter and came home. I read the directions on the back of the pancake box and it said, "JUST ADD WATER" ... figures.
After breakfast, everyone suddenly remembers they've got stuff to do and like a good little girl I get to clean up... that is, in fact, what I'm programmed to do is it not? Afterall, i'm the youngest girl in a Sicilian house hold...riiiiight.
After visiting nonna, my parents and I went for a stroll on the Bklyn Promenade in the afternoon. My sister (la principessa) was nice enough to come in from the city for the weekend and grace us with her presence. She bought my mother a beautiful plant for mother's day. (Did I mention my mom is a plant killer?) My oldest brother stopped by and brought her flowers. My youngest brother couldn't even be bothered to buy a gallon of milk on mother's day (Pero lui sará sempre il little angelo none the less...) And my other brother in Florida - not to be out done by the rest of his siblings - had BEST BUY deliver a big screen TV.... isn't that what every mother wants for mother's day? My papá was all like, "Oooh, bello questo regalo! Ma veramente very bello!" No doubt he's thinking of all the Juventus games he'll be watching...
Now my younger brother is convinced it would be a shame to watch regular TV on a 50" screen and we just have to get cable now... as if it's such a tragedy to have five channels now a days!! ??
It's all down hill from here folks. We now have more television sets than we do people living in this house...Che vergogna!!
Call me traditional but I don't think TV really promotes a sense of a "family atmosphere" if each family member is in their own room watching their own program. Am I the only person who sees the potential PROBLEM here?? What kind of 20-something year old am I if I can't appreciate 500 channels you ask? One who sees the desperate need for us to get off our asses and have decent conversations with eachother (instead of gossiping about who disrespected who in the family) or actually DOING something together instead of being hypnotized by television. I could go on but I'll step on my soap box in a later post.
PS - on a good note - I found out my cousin is pregnant AND I'll be in another cousin's bridal party under the condition that I don't go and get pregnant before her wedding....but afterwards, I'm okay right? ;P

1 comment:

Cibele Lana said...

elisaaaaa
sono qui....
ho capito il tuo post =)
non tutto tutto...ma la maggioranza! aeeeeeeeee vogio qualche lessione d'inglese, oks?

bjoosss
estou morrendo de saudades!
1'