Friday, June 22, 2007

The girl's toy...?

In recent attempts for one toy company to break out of double standards, they've created a track for little toy cars... for girls. Notice the pretty purple and fuscia-ish tints? It's called, "Polly Wheels Race to the Mall Playset"
Have you rolled your eyes yet? So not only does the track have to be set in "girly" colors (which are all socially constructed because really, what IS a girly color anyways??) but the real kicker is that now it's completely acceptable to have little girls believe they should be "racing" to the mall?
I may be over-reacting. I just remember walking into a gym notoriously known for women, and thinking, "What's with all the pink and purple machines?" For crying out loud, even the towels were pink. I think it's overkill. But that's just me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, this is just the tip of the ice berg. I won't even buy my daughter anything Disney Princess because BLAH! it makes me gag.

Louise said...

yeah sad... but I know one little girl that would absolutely LOVE one of those!! I was never into anything super girlie growing up so I don't know where my daughter gets it from, she is into all things purple and pink!!