Friday, June 15, 2007

Friday's Photo: Leaving the nest

3's a crowd...
A few weeks ago in the spring, my papá had noticed a small nest outside our kitchen window. I'm oblivious to these things and forgot all about the eggs. A while later, he notices how big they are and that today is the day they will fly away. And so I took that as my cue to get out my camera and go all 'national geographic' in my backyard and bird watch about 10 minutes until the mama bird came home. Well, as you can see, it's kind of crammed in the nest and getting these two out was going to take some work. They wouldn't budge. They seemed perfectly content staying home under the protection of mom's wing. Afterall, the world can certainly be a big, scary place.
They finally made it to leave the nest but not without difficulty. One of them crashed right into our window!! Then perched himself on the ledge to most likely get over his splitting headache as well as muster up the courage to give it another go, and then made it off to fly. The second one took a straight nose dive into the grass. The poor thing wobbled around a bit, got a running start and also made it off to fly. It was one of the coolest things I had ever seen. To this day I think of them sometimes when I'm scared of doing something new.
It would be nice to stay all comfy, cozy, in a safe place but at the same time, there's a whole world out there and I want to get to know it. There's always a new adventure on the horizon and we're never quite sure if we should take it, or if our wings would make it that far. I say, go for it. And if you're headed for a nose dive...shit happens. Wobble around a bit, get a running start, and then try again!

3 comments:

Giulia said...

That is a great way of viewing life. Lord knows I've slammed into a window many a times! lol
What a pretty photo. I'm glad that you were able to experience watching the birdies flying off into the real world. :)

Anonymous said...

What is it with birds? I have a crazy bird story to post about as soon as I get a chance.

ELi said...

me like birds aswell!