Friday, May 4, 2007

My Zia- La Gazzetta...

I got an email from a good friend of mine out in L.A and she's telling me she's doing the 5K Run on May 12 for the Revlon Run/Walk for Cancer. I'm so proud of her! At this point in time I'm unable to participate but it's something that gets me thinking of how I can be more of an altruistic person and get myself out there. I currently am doing things for Youth for United World which is affiliated with the Focolare Movement but I want to do more!
The other morning I woke up pretty early. I accidentally left the alarm on and initially I was upset with myself since I wanted to sleep more but I heard something really cool about an interesting organization. Onebrick.org - it gives people more opportunities to get together and give a hand to other great organizations! Love it! The way I see it, God must have wanted me to hear this or else I would have remembered to switch off the alarm.
...my parents get so annoyed when I talk about volunteering my time to a worthy cause... then it gets me thinking: what's wrong with this picture here? For crying out loud, it's not as though they have a promiscuous daughter with a drug addiction and failing out of college! What do I have to do to get their approval?!
But in trying to understand their twisted logic, I guess what they're saying is for me to get a "real job." ...they don't see how I can do work and not have the urge to walk up to the person in charge and demand money for my efforts. It's just "unnatural" they tell me. So I'll have to find a good paying job soon or they'll go crazy.
Yes, I see it now. Then my mom can have something to talk about with my aunts and the other italian ladies of the neighborhood. Of course all she would have to do is call Zia and then the whole world would know... I call her "La Gazzetta" because her brain is like one of those electronic message boards in Times Square where the information just keeps going and going... I love my Zia but God does she not know how to keep information private!
Any scandalous information on who's dating who or who's not talking to that person because of some stupid so-called "disrespectful" action is front page news...and don't think for a minute that she stays quiet for very long. Within an hour, anyone connected to this elaborate network of italians knows every intricate detail... except the chances of my aunt knowing all the details are slim. And so the saga continues to travel across the ocean into a little fisherman's town on the sea. Then the real kicker: when you eventually DO go to this town for the summer (and it could be years later) ... the inhabitants of this town remember it - and boy do they get the whole story dead wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for wanting to volunteer your time to benefit others.
I don't believe your parents are against you helping people "for free." I think they just mean that in order to pursue volunteering, you still need to take care of yourself. And that means you need to be able to pay rent, pay for health insurance, buy food, etc. For that you either need a trust fund (which you don't--cause then I would have one too), or you need a job. You can definetly have a full time job, yet still have time available to volunteer.
If you don't take care of youself first, you won't be able to take care of anyone else. Dude. Peace out.