Saturday, July 28, 2007

HARRY POTTER MANIA

I think I just pulled a muscle from pickin up the latest version of Harry Potter. 759 pages - Seven-hundred and fifty-nine pages... what 8 year old can read all that? Ok, maybe I'm being dramatic. I think it's great that kids are reading since it seems it's become more of a past time with all the video/computer games that are offered as other ways to kill time.

But it's the freegin size of the Bible. Did I just use the word "freegin" and "bible" in the same sentence? (Sorry God!) Maybe it's more like all of Shakespeare's works combined. Either way - you get the idea. You can't really tell but - I'm a Harry Potter fan. Not a big enough fan to dress up and wait on line for HOURS the night before the book is released but a big enough fan to buy all seven books and enjoy them...

I was watching the news reports on this Harry Potter mania and they interviewed one 16 year old girl who had flown out with her friend from California to wait on line at a bookstore in NY, just so she can have the book 3 hours earlier than her friends back home.... umm... WHAT? In cases like this I want to speak to that girl's mother and father. Is that really necessary? You don't find that your daughter has freakishly obsessive behaviors and some issues if she HAS to have her hands on that book so badly that you're willing to pay hundreds of dollars to fly her out to New York? No, on second thought, maybe I'd like to speak to THEIR parents.

My goodness - this last one is enormous. I can't carry this thing around with me! I can't just pop it in my bag on my way out the door or read it on the train, etc... I suppose I can read a few pages before bed but it will take me a long time to finish it and I'm not so sure I want to invest in all that time with Harry Potter when there are so many other books out there that I'd rather read. So...... what to do with that book?

1 comment:

iya said...

ok... so maybe i am crazier... i actually brought that last HP book with me to Assisi, when i was sick and a bit weak... guess i forgot that steep climb from San Damiano when i packed it nel mio zaino. :)
turns out, even when i was sick, i didn't really stop walking around to rest and read... x_x